It’s impossible to pick just ONE favorite dish that goes around the thanksgiving table, but this sweet potato casserole really might be it! Probably because it’s really a dessert. But I’m telling you… the crunchy pecan streusel topping 😍 is there anything better?! Huge thanks to my friend Lindsey @healthyhappyhome for sharing her famous recipe!
Q: CAN THE NUTS BE OMITTED?
A: yes! Just skip them. Still do the streusel topping just without nuts.
Q: CAN THIS BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
A: yes! Prepare it all except for the topping, cover, and refrigerate. When it’s game time, let it come to room temp, add the topping, and bake.
Q: CAN THIS BE MADE WITH LESS SUGAR?
A: sure! You can try it with 1/2 as much sugar. We haven’t tested it with pure maple syrup or other sweeteners but if you try it let us know how it turns out.
Insanely Good Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used 4 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, boiled, and mashed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cups softened butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Prepare mashed sweet potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Beat together with an electric mixer until combined.
- Empty contents into the baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, butter, and chopped nuts. (If you don’t do nuts, just skip them! The topping won’t be as crunchy but will still taste amazing) mix well with your fingers then evenly sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake uncovered at 325° F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.