I’ve been following @thegirlwho8everything for at least 8 or 9 years and every recipe I’ve made of hers has been amazing. Last week she posted this breakfast casserole and now that I’ve made it and eaten it, I’m pretty sure that you will all love it too! It’s smooth, cheesy, and the bacon and green chili’s give it the best flavor. There is no sogginess or dryness, it has the perfect texture!
Note: if you don’t have cheddar or Swiss cheese on hand, just use what you have but be mindful that the flavor may change. I used Costco’s Mexican blend cheese and it turned out awesome.
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound bacon cooked then crumbled (reserve 1/2 for the top)
- 4 cups shredded hash browns thawed
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese grated
- 1 yellow/orange/red bell pepper diced (reserve half for top)
- 3 green onions diced (reserve half for top)
- 1 4 oz can diced mild green chiles
- Combine hash browns, eggs, cheese’s, green chiles, 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the green onions, and 1/2 of the bell pepper.
- When mixed, pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with remaining bell pepper and bacon.
- Top with remaining bell pepper and bacon.
- Bake covered with foil at 350° F for 60 minutes, then uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- When done, sprinkle the raining green onions over the top and serve. ENJOY!